Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

NICU

When Day was born, she was having a little trouble breathing.  They put her in the NICU on oxygen over night to watch her.  When they took her off early Saturday morning, she had an 'episode' and had to be stimulated.  An episode is when she would stop breathing and her heart rate would drop.  (Anytime a baby has an episode and has to be stimulated, they have to stay in NICU 5 days.)  She was admitted to NICU where  they could monitor her around the clock.  I had seen my nephew in NICU with a feeding tube and it was hard.  But when it is your baby laying there on monitors and a feeding tube, it is even harder.  I am so thankful I had my sister to lean on and talk to!

I got to feed her and hold her.  She was doing so good.  We are so thankful for all of our friends and family that were lifting us up in prayer!  I was discharged from the hospital Sunday evening and had to go home without my baby girl.  When I woke up Monday morning, my eyes were swollen from all the crying.  We stayed at the hospital all day with Day and she was moved to a semi-private room called a step-down room.  I was PUMPED!! The room could be closed off and had a tv and recliner SO I could stay up there around the clock.  David got my things and took me out to dinner.  When I got back I learned that Day had another episode and had to be stimulated.  It was so disheartening.  David and our pastor (Bro. Larry) came to the hospital to pray.  God gave us such peace.  It is so hard when the monitors go off for your heart to not sink and start worrying.  I just had to give it to God.  She belonged to Him - He created her and gave her life.  He is the ultimate heart doctor. So every time her monitor would beep, I would just say, "God that is your child, you are in control of her heart and lungs. You are the only one that can 'fix' the problem." 

She had a few great days and then Thursday, May 19th she had another episode.  David and I were extremely frustrated because most of the time the nurses were at the opposite end of the NICU so if something would happen, by the time they got there Day would 'correct' herself.  Well, Thursday night the nurse happen to be outside her room when her monitor went off.  She walked in and touched her - so she was stimulated - another 5 days in NICU.  We were more than ready to take Day home, BUT we knew that if there was something wrong we needed to be at the hospital.  So, we stopped arguing and getting frustrated and gave it to God.  We knew that when He was ready for her to come home completely well, she would.  And that is exactly what she did.  She did not have another episode and got to come home Tuesday, May 24th.

Thanking God for family and friends that pray and for a beautiful and healthy baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment